On May 17, Kirsten Schuijt, general director of WWF Netherlands, sent a letter to Mariëtte Hamer, with an appeal to combat the biodiversity crisis. She mentions 5 main points:
- Cut nitrogen emissions by half by 2030;
- Making the North Sea healthy as a necessary precondition for green energy transition;
- Creating nature reserves in the Netherlands as protection against drought and flooding;
- Wastewater treatment on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba for coral conservation;
- A leading role to prevent global deforestation and destruction of natural areas
VBDO’s executive director Angélique Laskewitz signed this letter on behalf of the VBDO.